Jan 7, 2017

Hershey, PA – The Utica Comets defeated the Hershey Bears for the first time in team history with a 3-2 overtime win at the Giant Center on Saturday night.

The Bears struck first with a rebound goal from Paul Carey at 5:49. Stanislav Galiev created the initial shot with a secondary assist from Hubert Labrie. At 13:18, Evan McEneny barley held the puck into the offensive zone and found Wacey Hamilton in front of the net for his fourth of the year. The forward scored his third goal in four games by beating Joe Cannata glove-high. The Bears would regain the lead with a goal from Chandler Stephenson who beat Thatcher Demko five-hole on a breakaway from the left wing. His unassisted tally gave Hershey a 2-1 lead through 20 minutes.

The teams skated through a scoreless second period where the Bears outshot the Comets 11-7. Utica was able to defend against three different penalties during the course of the period.

Just 42 seconds into the third period, Alexandre Greiner beat Tyler Lewington on a foot race to a loose puck in the Bears zone. Greiner instantly shot the puck and beat Cannata for his tenth of the season. Curtis Valk and Darren Archibald assisted on the goal. The teams skated the remainder of regulation without a goal to force overtime. Just 21 seconds into the extra period, Valk ended the game with a wrist shot over the blocker of Cannata. Archibald and Colby Robak assisted on the tally to complete the comeback.

The Comets did not convert on two power plays and killed all four minors during the course of the game.

Demko made 36 stops to improve his record to 8-8-3. Cannata saved 20 shots and fell to a record of 9-3-4.

The Comets complete the weekend with a 5:05 p.m. faceoff tomorrow against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. The game will be broadcasted live from the PPL Center on KROCK 94.9 and can be viewed on AHL Live.

For the latest Comets news visit or follow the team on Facebook (, Twitter (@UticaComets) and Instagram (@UticaComets).

Back to All